GLASS INNOVATION STUDIO

PPX

Procesos Proambientales XQ ( PPX ), beside Studio Xaquixe, a binomial that has worked from and with the artisan context, the beginning was as glass producers to achieve a sustainable operation:

Ξ The transformation of containers and bottles from both dumps and collection centers, in glass-quality blown glass.

Θ The use of burned cooking oil and methane gas, from organic waste, generated from a biodigester, which allows us to reach the 1300 C necessary to melt and mold the glass.

Δ The development of solar concentrators directed to multi-union cells of last generation that are up to three times more efficient than conventional photovoltaic panels.

The team at Procesos Proambientales Xaxquixe (PPX) has worked for 15 years to conceive and test sustainable technologies in collaboration with small craft companies, adapting designs to reduce environmental degradation and promote innovation at the local level.

In Mexico, 2% of GDP comes from the cottage industry, representing eight million jobs (this without counting its influence on 8% of GDP represented by tourism); compared to 4% generated by the automotive industry with only six hundred and seventy-five thousand jobs. However, six hundred thousand artisans live in extreme poverty and 7 out of every 10 in patrimonial poverty.

We have transferred this technology to areas such as the production of ceramics, glass and mezcal. This has made it possible to raise the quality of its products, reduce its waste by up to 50% and its greenhouse emissions by up to 80%.

A huge impact has been achieved in the health, economy and immediate environment of the producers. PPX is currently investigating the processes used in the dyeing of textiles with natural dyes to allow responsible use of energy and water.

Some of these projects have so far earned us “The National Labor Prize 2014” granted by the Secretary of Labor; the “Public Interest Design Mexico Award 2014” granted by the National Autonomous University of Mexico (UNAM), the Social Economic Environmental Design Network (SEED) and the B Corps; and an Honorable Mention in the “National Prize for Applied Innovation 2014” granted by the National Council of Science and Technology (CONACYT) and the Mexican Association of Managers of Applied Research and Technological Development (ADIAT).

The unsustainable use of natural resources for the manufacture of handicrafts is one of the reasons why artisans in poverty can not generate sustainable resources from their work because they make immoderate use of their raw materials (because they have no other option), they are left without them. The traditional production system, in addition to presenting long-term problems in terms of profitability and preservation of the trade as an expression of identity and culture of the regions, alarmingly also presents a significant deterioration in health conditions and deterioration in natural resources.

The hybrid PPX & Studio Xaquixe initiated the development of sustainable technology for the production of blown glass, which allows us to use alternative energies and / or replace raw material with waste, a sustainable model whose application can now be extended to other workshops and micro-industries. glass, ceramics, mezcal, textiles and any industry that needs combustion.

Our sustainable technology began to attract attention in the artisan world, a considerable variety of artisans from different fields began to approach us interested in knowing our operation and implementing this technology in their craft production. Interested in reducing costs and improving their production system so as not to have a negative impact on the community as well as giving added value to their products.

Xaquixe, a sustainable glass workshop

Studio Xaquixe is a blown glass workshop that operates with sustainable technologies.

At Studio Xaquixe, the burned cooking oil of 34 Oaxacan restaurants is used using a multi-fuel burner and an anaerobic biodigester. In this way 100% (100%) of this oil is used without adding any type of additive or manipulation except for a simple filtering process. The oil, which is too dense to be used in the burner, is poured into the anaerobic digester along with manure and rainwater collected from the roof of the workshop in order to produce methane which is finally used for the different Xaquixe ovens.

Xaquixe is implementing solar concentrators aimed at multi-union cells, since these cells have up to 40% efficiencies while photovoltaic panels reach only 14%.

95% of the raw material used in Xaquixe comes from garbage, the other 5% corresponds to a proprietary formula (in the process of being patented) that makes it more transparent, bright and compatible with a wide range of colors which normally do not they could be applied to recycled glass.

ORDERS OUTSIDE OF MEXICO: MINIMUM ORDER 500 USD. WE CAN HELP YOU TO LOCATE YOUR CLOSEST RETAILER. Dismiss